Words for life 15th May 2016, Pentecost Sunday
1.Easter starts with Resurrection Sunday, then followed by the Ascension of our Lord and finishes with Pentecost Sunday. At Pentecost we celebrate the coming of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles.
2. Today is the feastday of the Holy Spirit. The story goes that one day after Catechism lessons a boy asked another: “What is the Spirit?” The reply came that the spirit was shapeless, limitless, colourless and weightless. The other replied that was the best description he had ever heard of “nothingness”.
3. Who is the Holy Spirit?
– The Baptism of Jesus symbolizes purity, simplicity and fertility.
– His Transfiguration symbolizes light, clarity and joy.
– Pentecost symbolizes life and fortitude.
4. Pentecost is the birth of the Church. The Spirit brings all Christians together and guides us to speak to our Lord in complete trust, just as a child would.
The Holy Spirit makes us “true” Christians, not “virtual” ones. The Holy Spirit moves the Church, works in the Church and in our hearts. The Spirit transforms each one of us into a unique being and at the same time unifies us as one body. The Spirit summons us to open our doors and bear witness to Jesus Christ in the world.